10" (255mm) vs. 12.5" (318mm) frames on fitness skates. What kind of speed differences will I see?

edited June 2020 in Fitness Skating

Fitness skater here on Powerslide Swell 3x125's. Currently skating the stock frame, which is 10" (255mm). I upgraded to the Powerslide Elite Casted MG Speed Skate Frames, which are 12.5" (318mm). Will I be any faster on these longer frames? I ordered these frames a month ago; it's been very slow for these to get back in stock and finally shipped overseas. They should arrive sometime next week. I hope. So I've got some time on my hands to sit and wonder.

More about me: I've been skating about 200-300 miles per month. Almost certainly poor technique. I average about 11-13 mph (17.7-20.9 kmh) on my flat, 10-mile (16 km) local trail loop. I'm hoping for at least 1 mph (1.6 kmh) increase in average speed, all else being equal. But I strongly suspect that I'll need to modify my technique and actually skate the right way to see any changes at all. What do you guys think?

Comments

• I have been skating on 255 when they came out and urban 3x225 were rare to buy. Nice frame for low speed and cornering. At high speed very instable (frame shaking wouldnt go straight).

From The Netherlands

• Good point! So I may see an increase in average speed just from having a higher speed limit at more intense efforts.

• Yes speed will be more stable and increase. Will feel uncortable at first time when used to 255. After that less effort to maimtain higher speed.

From The Netherlands