Lower back ache

Wasn’t sure whether to put it here or in the general discussion forum, but as it mostly bugs me when going out for a long ride I guess here will do!

I get quite a bit of lower back pain when I’ve been skating for 30mins+. I recall getting it 20yrs ago too, so don’t think it’s just old age... I’m hoping it’s just a technique thing and someone can point me in the right direction to fix it!

Comments

• Do some core exercises.

From The Netherlands

• First off, are you sure it just isn't your back getting tired?

Secondly, it might be tight hamstrings and lower back. Sitting is a horrible thing for the human body, but, we do it a lot. This will cause tightness.

To fix, you must stretch. Some light dumbells as you bend over will hit the right muscles.

A more advanced and effective stretch is to see if you can fully squat down, butt to heels. It is a fair chance, if you get down that far, you will lose balance. You have to be REALLY well stretched out to get down that far and not fall over. You might try the stretch while holding one dumbell for balance. The idea is to be able to get down into this position and be able to comfortably stay there for 5 minutes. Some yoga stretches should also be helpful.

• It may just be using muscles I haven’t used for some time, and getting tired, as it doesn’t seem to be affecting me off the skates. Stretching is one of those things I keep not getting around to doing, so will try that!

• Stretching helped, but your core is just not strong enough. It will takes some times to get st r ong....

From The Netherlands

• Body orientation can help. If you skate with your back horizontal, that will put more strain on your back muscles. Getting low by getting your butt low but keeping your back more vertical reduce stress. Eddy Matzger taught (and probably still teaches) to slouch and curve your back like a cat.

• JimJim
    edited May 2020

When I first started skating I had the same problem but gradually over time, it became a non-issue. Whatever muscles skating fatigues, skating strengthens. However, muscles weaken during long layoffs so core exercises will help. The one I think helps me the most are supermans. I do 3 sets of 12 about once a week.

Yes, body orientation too. Here's a really thorough article on the subject. It will answer all your questions and much more. https://inlineskateworld.com/inline-skating-back-pain-causes-and-treatment/

Illinois USA

• If it persists I would highly recommend a good physiotherapist, even if the pain is not severe. They can do an assessment, give you some great strengthening exercises, and explain the mechanisms behind the pain.

• I had same pain when switched to speed skating position. Took me some time to have no fast muscle exhausting....

From The Netherlands

• Core exercises, especially sit ups and other crunches. I've had bouts of back pain and all cases it's been due to me not doing enough of my stomach muscles and throwing things out of balance.