Do you wear protection?

Well after wrist accident years ago, I always wear wrist guard when rolling. Maybe I should wear a helmet too, but is feel uncomfortable.

For shaving protection I wear two layer of pants, lycra tight and normal running jogging pant.....

From The Netherlands

Comments

• My wife broke her wrist and after that has worn wrist braces with inserts on bot hands. I have not broken anything, and prefer to not wear anything with my skates.

• edited May 2020

Yeah i prefer to wear nothing too, feel much better!

From The Netherlands

• One of my first instructors told me to practice falling. I did, and that trained me to usually fall so I only hurt my pride.

• Yup same here, had to learn falling. Back in time when i broke my wrist. It was very low speed and didn't expected to fall. While most of time at agressive urban skating at high speed fall a lot. Just some scratches....

From The Netherlands

• I have titanium in my wrist. I've fallen on it several times hard enough to break and now it doesn't break. It's like a built-in wrist guard! Amazing! I feel bionic.

• Ye a h same here still same have metal pins inside. But doctors said it is okay to remove them. But I am afraid to weaken wrist..... disadvantage is I can feel pins and wrist tendons itchy....

From The Netherlands

• When I did free style I wouldnt wear any protection but now that I switched to speed skating I would feel like a moron not wearing a helmet.

• Yeah I will buy a helmet. Brain is everything....

From The Netherlands

• I've never owned a helmet before but have one on order now - mostly to set an example to my daughters. I'm also fully aware that if i don't there will be an I-told-you-so, but the childhood conditioning "helmets are dorky" is so strong...

• Yess when wear a helmet with normal cycling, people laugh at me😡 But didn't paid attention to them.

From The Netherlands

• If you are prone to injury, it is still recommended to bring roller skating protection equipment (especially Skating Hip Pad can not be ignored)

• edited December 2020

Prone to injury, maybe find a safer hobby.

I use very thin knee pads for bboying. They don't really offer falling protection; they're for doing knee moves when I'm down on the floor. Hard [actually protective] stuff feel horrible and restrictive to me. Mostly becasue I do a lot of freestyle movement. Hair is out so a helmet is very inconvenient.

I don't really fall badly. Most [all] of my falls are controlled.

• edited December 2020

Been skating streets (all kinds of conditions, often real bad) for over 30 years. Early on I used wrist guards, IIRC elbow guards too, but eventually got so confident I never use those, but I never skate without some kind of gloves on... full fingered. I also almost never skate in shorts, having skinned a knee pretty badly a few years ago. I can't see skating the streets without gloves. It's no hassle to wear them and they've saved me many times from injuries.

Used to never wear a helmet unless bike riding in especially dangerous conditions (e.g. mountain, twisting roads), but my physical therapist ragged on me saying an accident without a helmet could change my life forever. So, 3 years ago or so, I started wearing my bike helmet. I do that skating too now. WTH. Nothing like the protection gloves afford, but could prevent a serious concussion or worse.

• It depends where I'm skating, but wrist guards and helmet are the bare minimum for me. The beach bike path is pretty flat, so I just do wrist guards and helmet there. If I am going to be doing downhill or sketchy surfaces, I will wear knee pads too. And I have padded shorts if I'm really concerned. I do fall sometimes.

• Any skater should know that wearing gloves is not optional and plays a vital role in keeping hands and wrists safe and well-protected. Although underestimating the importance of wearing gloves while skating is not uncommon, misguided judgment can lead to serious injuries such as fractures and severe abrasions. :)

• edited June 2021

Winston just provided the best skating advice I can imagine. I have been street skating for ~32 straight years now and haven't broken a bone. Wearing gloves is a big part of that. I also refrain from wearing shorts, having skinned a knee a time or two. Wearing pants gives me more confidence. Helmet too these days. WTH, only have one brain and brain injuries do not heal like bones, people.

• edited May 2023

In sports there is always a risk of getting hurt or injured. And they increase even more when we practice without the right equipment. One way to counteract these cases is to equip yourself with the best roller skate wristbands. While there is more safety gear that we can use when it comes to skating, let's first focus on these products that are used by hand.

• Fairly early on with my first pair of quality skates I fell when almost stationary, something of a shock to me. I then acquired a pair of California Skate Brakes from the skate shop where I'd bought the components with which I'd assembled the skates (except for the uppers, which were my choice of basketball shoes). Those skate brakes fit on the back and are similar to the back brakes you see on roller blades. I've seen almost no quad skaters with back brakes, but they are terrific at saving you if you are anything but a very adept skater. Just one is sufficient, but I got two and always sport one at the back of either skate. I can use either but by habit use the right one. Since becoming rather adept on my quads, I use the back brakes less and less, almost not at all, except when going downhill and needing to stop. They really do contribute to safety and I would say even for the adept. They add a bit of weight, but are worth it. Part of the assemblage is the rubber pad, and you can buy them, but I made extras by cutting pieces from a discarded automobile tire and drilling holes in them with a hand drill (I'm handy!). As the pads wear down the angle of contact with the skating surface increases, which causes uneven wear. Once in a while I inspect to determine if that angle is too much. If so, I insert shims to alleviate the problem. As I say, I'm handy... uh, and resourceful.