Newbie Lots of questions

Hello, I am new & have lots of questions. I used to skate as a kid... I am not 47. I was looking for a fun low impact cardio workout to add to my routine. I bought a pair of Boardwalk Sure Grips. I really like them & find them overall very comfortable. I skated 10 miles tonight! My questions:

How often do I change out my wheels & when will I know it's time? I already need to order new stops. Is there a brand you recommend for outdoor paved trails?

Can you recommend any outdoor skaters to follow? I need to work on my form. I fall @ least once every time I skate LOL I did invest in good gear. I am 47 & had cancer so I am not trying to die on roller skates. I know I just need to practice, practice, practice.

Any tips from outdoor skaters would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• edited October 2021

Welcome to skating! I started roller skating in my mid 40's and I now skate about 10-14 hours a week. All my health problems went away like POOF and now I'm carved out of wood. I hope the same happens for you. I'll try to tackle your questions. First on wheel & bearing maintenance. I'd use freespin as your best guide. When the wheels will no longer spin for at least 12 seconds on their own, they need some love. I'd recommend the Bones bearing cleaning kit (best one and I've tried almost all of them) and the use of either 100% pure Acetone or d-limonene as a solvent. In my case, I tend to service bearings every 4 months at a minimum. However, I also prefer lighter lubricants with less starting drag. So, if you use something like Lithium grease and skate in a fairly clean environment you could go a lot longer. For trail skating folks who want a bit of protection for their back & knees I'd recommend the Kryptonics Route 62 or Sure Grip Boardwalk wheels (probably the ones you roll!). If you don't need as much agility and you want ultimate kush, do the Route 70's if your skates will fit them (and you don't mind how heavy they are). If you are not as sensitive to knee issues and want a superstar outdoor wheel go for the Mota Toxic in the lowest durameters. They are much lighter and have a bit more grip than the Kryptonics (and nice reeding that lasts a long time). I also recommend you buy a quality hat (for the sun) to make yourself more comfortable and use memory foam (not gel) skate inserts to dampen vibration. I use the Arm & Hammer brand (memory foam "comfort" ones, not work soles). They look and even feel cheap but they perform in skates like crazy and keep a lower profile (important to maintain skate fit). I'd recommend you get a band/strap to hold your shades in case they fall (or use cheap shades). Oakley makes decent ones. I also recommend the Nite Ize Radiant rechargeable glowstick for riding anywhere near the evenings or when at the rink (people see you better). If you trail skate a lot and for long distances, I recommend the FlipBelt and it's too expensive light kit. It's like having a wonderful set of headlights for skating and also improves visibility greatly. As for repeatability, I'd recommend stoic philosophers (Tacitus is my favorite) and always remember to have fun even when practicing or getting fit. Forget about the Cancer, yo. You're now done with that chapter. Skating kind reverses your aging process for a while 😎.

• The impact resistance is a must for any extreme sport athlete! I slid on the helmet for 10+ feet, breaking my collar bone clean in half. If I had not been wearing my helmet, I have no doubt I would be dead as an impact on the pavement at 36 miles an hour would have shattered bones and tearing...

• As far as I know, Santa Cruz, Antihero, Baker, and Real are the best skateboard brands. I have had a Santa for a long time, I don't remember what year, but since this brand is famous since the first time it has skateboarding, now its price is higher than other brands, but the quality is extremely good.