Suitable Setup for Beginner Artistic

edited August 2021 in Artistic

Hi guys,

I have been skating right on a year now, and have become increasingly interested in artistic skating. Unfortunately for me, there are no clubs in my area so I don't have access to coaching except virtually. As a result, I'm not sure how far I'll get learning jumps, but I would like to get a skate setup that is more geared toward artistic skating. Currently I am using a Riedell 135 boot on the Reactor Neo plate. I don't particularly like the plate as I feel the wheel placement is too far back, especially the back wheels. But it has served me well as a beginner to intermediate skater. I think I'm ready for a stiffer boot and more responsive, specialized plate.

I'd really like to get a Roll Line plate for this setup, and am open to suggestions as to which one to choose. Right now I am leaning toward Energy or the Dance plate and some Roll Line wheels, maybe a checkerboard setup of the Professional wheels. What I really need advice on is the boot, though. No one in my area stocks Edea except perhaps the ice rinks, so I could go there to try them on. But Edea is not my preferred brand, I think I'd rather go with Riedell or Harlick. I see a lot of used Riedells with Sure Grip plates on FB Marketplace and eBay, would that be a suitable starting place? If I went new Riedells or Harlicks, what would boot would you recommend I go with?

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Small wheels are great for street and technical skating because they weigh less and are typically more responsive. On the other hand, bigger wheels roll so much faster and maintain speed even over rough surfaces. so choose wisely yet reasonably. If you are after entry-level wheels for occasional riding that may be considered on par with mainstream brands, you may expect to spend at least $15.

• Perspective is an important ability to learn as a beginner artist, whether you're drawing or painting. Knowing perspective, including how to discover the horizon line, determine the vanishing point, and an overview of linear perspective, is essential if you wish to create three-dimensional art https://homienjoy.com/.

• Hello,

Hope you are well.

Not sure if you still need a skate setup. Just found this site and saw this post of yours from a month ago without many suggestions yet. I would try a Golden Horse Noble with their Vanguard Plate. You send your foot measurements to Golden Horse for the boots to make sure you get a correct fitting custom boot. These run $659 complete with outdoor wheels. You did not state if your are skating at an indoor skating rink, or outdoors.

For Edea boots go to skatesus.com and they have a boot fitting program, where they will send you up to 3 pairs of skates for size fitting one at a time, and when you find the right size they will heat shape the Edea to eliminate problem spots based on a sketch of your foot that you mail them with snail mail. For a beginner jumper, I would recommend the Roll-Line Variant C, or Roll-Line Energy plate to start you off on your journey. Talk to skatesus.com and they will recommend which model of boot for your level of competence and type of skating.

The Golden Horse Vanguard Plate is very similar to a Roll-Line Mistral plate.

None of these options are inexpensive. Don't gimp yourself with a cheap skate setup. You will regret it.

You will be paying from $600-$1,000 for a good artistic setup that will enable you to do what you wish to accomplish in skating.

Later,

Tony

• I have had three pairs of Edea-booted skates. I have one with the Roll Line Dance plate, another with the Synder Imperial Dance Lite, and a third with the Pilot Falcon F16 NTS. Of the three, I find the Synder to be the best overall setup for me, personally. The Roll Line plate is very nice to show off at the rink, I guess, but feels nearly identical to the Pilot (same kingpin angle, too). I doubt a blindfolded skater could tell them apart by feel (and the Pilot is $200 vs $400+ for the Roll Line). I have come to the conclusion (quite late) that I do not like Edea boots and the more "supportive" they are the worse I dislike them, especially the Classica. Keep in mind I'm not landing tremendously high jumps. I'm a dancer and I do Street and Freestyle mostly from a Rhythm perspective more than Jam, not big swan-dancing figuring skating. I can do singles, only and focus mostly on steps and edging-based dance moves. However, I have had a LOT of fitment issues with Edea and they run so small as to basically just be wrong-sized, especially in the toe box. The heat molding feels like it basically doesn't even work. I can't even tell when I get the boots back after molding them (used SkatesUS for this). On other boots it was a dramatic difference. It didn't alter the Edea boot at all, it seems. Then there is this (Italian?) school of thought that every skate has to be bone grindingly tight on your foot. That's lunacy. Skates should be on snug enough that they support your foot without sliding around but that doesn't mean they should cut off the circulation and vise-grip your foot so much it hurts and that's been my experience with Edea from start to finish: a terrible fit from a misshapen too-small last. I also dislike the "lace lock" idea they seem so sold on. FFS, let me adjust the damn laces without using a lace puller! I have to replace the Edea ones with custom made satin ones just to get them to move at all because they hurt. If you go with Edea, size WAY WAY WAY up (do NOT order them blind) or you'll probably end up disliking them like I have. I have a pair of Golden Horse inline skates (same boots as their quads). Their Maestro boot is head and shoulders better at fit and comfort on my foot than the Edea boots I've owned. No contest. Golden Horse wins by a mile. Their booters are the key. They do an excellent job if you send them accurate information.

• For anyone who's interested, I ended up choosing a Flamenco on the Dance plate. I really enjoy the setup. However, the Edea boots are not the best fit for me so early this year I ordered Harlicks.

• Hi SparksFlyy,

I'm glad you found a combination you are comfortable using. I would like to know what type of floor you are skating on. Is it an inside rink or are you outside on concrete. It does make a difference, even indoor concrete vs outdoor concrete has a difference. I prefer indoor wood.

If you want a suggestion of a good starter to intermediate boot, you might consider a riedell 220 boot. It's about half the price of higher level boots but you can do dance, figures and freestyle (jumps and spins) in this boot very well. It takes time to adjust to it, and can be hot molded. It is stiff but that will help you keep from getting a double lean and allow you to learn to jump straight and do your turns correctly. I used that boot for about a decade and I went from singles jumps, to double jumps to triple jumps in them. I did dance and figures in them. Getting a good fit is important. I don't know if they are still around, but their website is: https://www.conniesskateplace.com/220-Retro-Skate-Boots-p/220-boots.htm

Also if you want to skate dance and freestyle then it is better to get the freestyle plates. Dance and figure plates are a bit more reactive and can mess-up your take off and landings. But a less reactive plate can still do Dance well and figures ok. Yes, I could do figure loops in the freestyle skates. I actually felt complete control when they were less reactive. I used the Snyder Super Deluxe original (aka the standard), with the original hard Snyder stops. https://www.conniesskateplace.com/Super-Deluxe-Plates-p/super-deluxe.htm

Wheels should not be too tight, in otherwords you want them to slip some. Loose grip on the floor allows for better 3 turns and better footwork, 103's for me (equiv of my old style wheels). They have enough give to slide when you need them to slide and still hold tight edges when you learn how to lean properly. I used bones 103's the last time I skated. My originals were FoMac Freestyle, These will probably feel the best for a new skater: https://www.conniesskateplace.com/Elite-Skate-Wheels-p/elite-wheels.htm

For freestyle, 57mm height. For dance and figures, 62mm height. That is IMHO is the best sizing.

Speaking of sizing. Matching the correct size of plate to boot is VERY IMPORTANT. Also correct placement of the plate is VERY IMPORTANT. If Connies is still around, they can do a proper setup for you. If you want to learn to do jumps and spins then make sure your equipment is correct for the sport. You don't have to break the bank with the most expensive. But getting the proper type of skates and correct setup and sizing is VERY important.

One note: The original Snyder Super Deluxe is heavier than most. This can be a good thing.

So if you ever want to change your current configuration, then try them

If Connies is not available, you might consider contacting Paul Hinton at Bristol Skateway. If you can contact him, and get him to set you up, you will not be sorry. Paul teaches there and can also build you a very correct pair of skates that will be great.

• Paul Hinton was one of the first person I saw doing freestyle in 1971, and he inspired me to learn freestyle. He knows how to setup a freestyle/dance/figure skate perfectly and he know so very much about skating. You might consider contacting him: 210 Skateway Drive( K-Mart Dr. for GPS) Bristol, TN 37620
    • info@bristolskateway.com
    • (423)-968-9680

Jim Morton