Mota Toxic Wheel Review: The Most Flexible Wheel?

These wheels come in 59mm and 62mm and in 82A and 93A hardness. They have what appears to be a nylon hub which is extremely stiff with semi-hollow circular structures supporting it internally. I suspect it's reinforced with glass fiber or something strong since they haven't cracked on the massive park loads I've subjected them to. They are very lightweight comparatively against other wheels, even smaller solid urethane wheels. The urethane on the Mota Toxic itself seems either more lightweight or perhaps more thinly applied? They are LIGHT. The hardness is deceiving on these wheels because they offer immense grip. They are sold as "derby wheels" by most outfits, but they are pretty excellent wheels for my rink surface if I want absolutely maximum grip. I have some 78A wheels that don't compare in grip even with the 93A Toxic wheel in terms of coefficient of friction.They come in lots of colors and they come with treadle. I have some super cool 59mm in clear smoke grey @82A and a set of black ones in 59mm but 93A instead. Both are super grippy but obviously the 93A is less so. That set of wheels is old now and I've worn off the reeding. The surface they have now is ideal for my style of rhythm skating (wish I could buy them like this!). The clear 82A ones are so grippy I feel like I'm on a slot car. The interesting thing about these wheels is how universal they are. I’ve skated on sport-court surfaces (no chatter), various rinks, outdoor on slick concrete, indoor concrete with spilt beer, street, gravel, and with wet outdoor conditions, too. These wheels GRIP. The bearing seats are precise and can be used with 7.650mm bearing spacers, but I wish Mota would make metal ones. They have a full shop in the USA, too. They remind me of Roll Line wheels in the precision of the seats and webbing. They just deliver performance and grip for years and years (great durability). The place with the concrete + beer was near-death on other rink wheels, too, but the Toxic gripped even when wet and I didn't die. If I need to skate for my life across who-knows-what, I’m picking these. If I have to take a trip with one pair of skates and one set of wheels only, I take the Mota Toxic because I know it'll go anywhere without any big drawbacks. The only issues I have had are that the black hubs can discolor under extreme heat (they didn't warp though, nice!) coming from the bearing seat (hill bombing slalom). I wouldn't recommend skating outdoors on these long distance if you have sensitivity in your knees. Being a bit thinner and lightweight, they aren't big puffballs of shock absorbtion, but can and do absorb shock better than my high precision aluminum wheels: considerably better because those semi-hollow structures flex a tiny bit under heavy stress. The edge on these wheels is stiff, beveled-off 45', grippy and will support me spinning, landing, or bowlegged way out on an edge. They aren't as stiff as metal, but very very close and for the weight you can't beat them. They also aren't bad on price with a full set of 8 running me $64.

Toxic-Grip-Blue-59-MM.jpg
1000 x 1000 - 155K
Toxic-59-black.png
1280 x 1280 - 853K