Do you use spacers on your Quad? What is the length of each wheel if used?

I would like to know the type of wheel and the length of the spacer used.

The spacer is to help the outer ring rotate smoothly by fixing the inner ring of the bearing.

It is a part that helps to improve rolling performance by preventing the bearing from being skewed.

I look forward to answers from those who use spacers.

If the lengths used by different wheels are different, I think we should try to standardize them so that the industry makes them to a certain size. 

Comments

• edited July 2021

If you had enough experience with theory, then testing and measuring you would know that no wheels have perfect, exactly same dimensions. So spacers vary als in dimension. Bearings are the most pecise part of any skate. The looser the bearing, the easier it is to put a spacer in a wheel and not have to "fit" the spacers. Minimal gains for lots of time and effort.

This is a very old dicussion. The tighter the tolerances, the more time it takes to "fit" everything correctly. Virtually no measurable gains. Possibly stronger resistance to bending the axles under hard impacts due to tension on the axle

• In my experience skating for years on at least 10 different plate setups, 5 kingpin angles, 14 different sets of wheels (probably more, that's just what I have, now), and a metric crapton of bearings, I'd say the complete opposite of what Fierocious said and urge you to read the bearing haters thread for a more fullsome discussion. Bearing spacers offer increased skate performance for minimal effort given access to the right tools or spacers already precisely crafted. However, let's keep that debate to the proper thread and stick to what you actually asked in the first place. I can tell you these measurements:

Sure Grip Zombie and Sure Grip Interceptors: 7.650 mm

Team and Elite Rollerbones Spacers: 7.010 mm

Most Skateboard Spacers: 10.1 mm- 10.6 mm

Riedell Sonar and Radar wheels vary by batch. They generally are something pretty close to 7.500mm but you've got to measure them, unfortunately.

If someone wants screenshots of my calipers to "prove" my measurements you can pound sand. I get paid to do engineering.

• By the way I have access to a LOT more wheels and some other spacers, but I'm too lazy to measure them all. If you want specific measurements for a wheel, let me know and I'll see if I have it or someone at one of my rinks has it and I'll bring my calipers and measure it for you. I can't promise every wheel, but I see a whole-freakin-lot.

• I always use spacers. I skate quads, mostly outdoors. I feel like I get better speed using spacers. Most of my outdoor wheels require 8mm spacers. Difficult to find this size at a good price. The Longboard Store has good (accurate at 8mm) spacers. https://www.thelongboardstore.com/bearings/bearing-spacers/8mm-x-8mm-bearing-spacers-1/?sku=SYBRSP88

• It’s important to make sure that your pads are compatible with your hardware. While most of these are constructed with hard plastic, polyurethane offer better flexibility and shock absorption.

• I have used spacers for years on a variety of skates. I was taught that the spacers need to be used to ensure the bearings stay aligned. I am a freestyle skater and have had some hardware failures, so I take every advantage to keep those to a minimum.

• Bearing spacers will stiffen an axle due to tension. As for gains in speed, won't make any difference unless you bias the test somehow. Flip axles have been used for years, no need for spacers on them unless your wheels are urethane without hubs( the wheels bearing bores and back walls distort under load). If you skate antique skates with antique locks(D center locking washers) you must use spacers. If using nylocs, spacers not needed.