Improving outdoor ride comfort where possible for Chaya Emerald Soft Derby Skate

Hi,

I've been watching videos on quad tech and reading reviews and articles, but still a bit lost, hoping to find some help where possible.

YouTube product video of the Chaya Emerald Soft Derby Skate:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NikDrGsML3w

Reason I'm looking to customize:

Love how these skates fit and feel, my weight feels much better distributed, altough it still feels definitely different skating in them than inlines (like stopping and turning), but also wondering if I should upgrade some parts because on rougher asphalt they vibrate a bit too much down the center of the sole for my taste when rolling sometimes, and it is tiring for my feet, and just a bit too annoying. Or is this something I should get used too, and it can't be improved too much?

Background:

I got the Chaya Emerald Soft Derby skate for outdoor fitness skating and cruising. It's mostly to do a bit of skating to train different muscles of my body and help loosen up after work for example. After talking to a skate shop decided to go for quads this time instead of inlines. I don't have a lot of experience skating quads, my experience is mostly with inlines and ice skating, but I never liked how my feet feel in inlines (start to hurt after a while, lot of weight on small edge, anyway..)

I got it on sale so all in all it felt like a good starting skate set up to get back into skating. The quality of the skate parts being good enough too enjoy, but not too expensive. I can always upgrade parts like boot down the line, the idea being.

However, I'm wondering when and how I should upgrade, and if certain things are worth it. Also if I should do this at once, or over time.

Things I have questions about:

1. Wheels: The skates comes with a Octeo Paseo 62mm 78a wheel. I'm thinking about switching these to Radar Energy 65mm 78a, they are slightly bigger, come recommended as outdoor wheel by various skaters, however, is there a big difference? Wheels are a sizable investment and if the difference is minor, could skip on this until the Octeos are due for replacement? Does anyone have experience with both, which do you like better? Some recommend 70mm wheels, but these seem tough to find, even at skate shops, the 65mm seem pretty common, so I'm confused as to what.
  2. Cushions: I find the cushions that come with the skate a bit too hard or loose (92a according to Chaya website, but elsewhere they state they are 85a), I was thinking of changing these out to an 80 something. However after having skated a few times now, I feel they are breaking in? I've also been tweaking the tightness, and feel like I've found a better setting at first. Some recommend changing cushions every season, so might as well ride out the ones that came with first, maybe?
  3. Insoles: The insoles that came with the skate are pretty thin, and I've ordered different ones for these, Scholl gel sport soles. I've heard these are o.k., so they might take away enough vibration and smooth the ride, that other upgrades aren't necesarry.

Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• edited April 2020

So, after talking to a skateshop decided to get the Radar Energy 65mm 78a wheels, leaving 3mm size difference aside, the overall quality and performance of the wheel is better from what I understood.

As well as trying out insoles, seeing how that goes

With my height and weight recommended against getting other cushions, since the cushions wouldn't necessarily help all that much with ride vibration, but could cause issues with the stability and stuff, basically if I go too soft end up with similar issues as I do with inlines

From what I understood inlines feel different on the road because of the different wheel surfaces

I'm pretty happy with the truck set up right now, and with corona Chaya isn't delivering stock either from what I gather, so going to wait with cushions for now, I hit Chaya up to ask what is going on with their cushion hardness andhow that works, and see how this goes first, see how the skates break in further, and if after a few rides I still don't like the cushions and can't get them adjusted right I can switch them out then, with the latest setup I had fun skating

• Sounds like you are getting the information you are looking for, and talking to skateshops is always helpful. I don't think you are feeling the cushions breaking in as much as you are adapting to how the skates feel and react. The taller and softer wheel will definitely improve ride comfort. Good insoles can make a world of difference as well, but may need to try a few to find what works for your feet (I don't like insoles with any kind of arch support). I would see how you like the new wheels, then experiment more with loosening and tightening the trucks.