Artistic skating outdoors: which wheels ?

Hi everyone,

I started doing more artistic skating (prior to that I was just trail skating, therefore I won soft wheels /78A-85A) in outdoors so mainly on concrete.

I figured I needed hard wheels to get the slide necessary to do certain moves (3 turns as an exemple). When I ordered my artistic skates they came with Star HD84 wheels (which are probably the HARDEST wheels): obviously I got the slide thing, but they make my skates very slow (no traction) and with 0 grip, my feet are often going to the side. Obviously on street, they are very noisy and quite inconfortable (I know harder are not going to absorb vibration the same way a softer one can do).

I planning on getting new wheels, but I am still wondering what is the best I can get, knowing that:

1/ I exclusively skate outside (picking up parking lots etc which have a smooth surface)

2/ I am 50kg (110lbs) from what I gathered, light weight skaters should get gripper wheels, but I obviously don't want to compromise the "slide" part too

3/ Still going to use them at least a little bit on streets (hence why they cannot be extra hard)

I've selected these ones so far:

1/ Roll-line MAGNUM in 57mm, they have a medium profile. I thought of a mix of 49D &53D

2/ KOMPLEX angel in 57mm, they also have a medium profile, but they look like they are lighter than the others. Here it could be a mix of 43D & 52D OR 40D & 48D ( for the last one I am not sure if I can get to do what I want in terms of slide and agility given their softer side)

3/ Roll-line GIOTTO in 57mm, they are described as "narrow prole", which is maybe trickier for beginners ? Here, a mix of 49D & 53D

Have you used any of those wheels ?

For those who have done artistic skating outdoors, what hardness would be the best considering my weight ?

Thank you :)

Comments

• And what about the Panther/Mustang/Fox ? Since they are polyurethane, could this be better for outdoors ?

• This probably won't answer your question entirely, but here is what I know. From seeing skaters use the Giotto wheels, those are more than likely to wear down and get flat spots the quickest, especially on outdoor surfaces which although they are smooth, tend to be more rough than an indoor skating surface.

I have seen people using Roll-line Helium wheels, as well as the Star Comet wheels (which are sold online at Skaters Oasis). Betwern these two, I personally would go with the Star Comet wheels, as they are designed specifically for artistic outdoor training, but I am not sure of the hardness as it is not listed on the website.

I don't know for sure, but I would think that the polyurethane wheels would hold up better on outdoor surfaces for artistic skating. At one point early into my artistic skating journey I was using Komplex Angel's in a 53D hardness, 63mm diameter (which is a figure wheel, but I used it as a freestyle and figure wheel which I do not recommend doing) and just from skating indoors at a roller skating rink, the wheels have gotten indents and debris literally stuck in the "tread" of the wheel. This alone is why I would not recommend a thermoplastic elastomer wheel for outdoor training, unless you are willing to buy new wheels more often, especially if you are doing movements that are harder on the wheels. The thermoplastic elastomer can heat up and "melt" as well, which would aid in distorting the wheel.

I hope this gives a little bit of insight, even though it wasnt a direct answer. If you want to chat more about it, you can email me at mcs171@uakron.edu

• When buying new wheels, it’s essential to look for relatively softer or within the 78a-88a durometer range as they are known to be better at resisting impact. Softer wheels also provide you better grip and can dramatically reduce vibration. They’re extra bouncy for a more energized ride too!

Another vital aspect to look at is the size; a wheel between 54mm and 60mm diameter generally gives you better off-road capabilities. Bigger wheels provide ease while rolling over rocks, cracks, and other crevices that smaller wheels can’t handle.

• Why don't the manufacturers put real wheels with the bottom rollerblades it is always necessary to access wheels and rollerblades next to it.

For freeride I have to change everything every time

• Hmm?

I use rollerblade and longboard wheels.

I wish that rollerskates were made with the front and back wheels a longer distance apart for more stability. Let me know if you know anything about this.

https://giphy.com/gifs/rollerskates-long-skates-D7D7cDqirw33kkXd8S

20210627_173711.jpg
    3024 x 4032 - 5M