Single action versus dual action

So I recently acquired my Dads old Riedells that havent seen the light of day since the early 90s when he took a dive and swore he would never skate again. At the time, I was learning how to shuffle skate from my uncle and used to only ride rentals cause I didn’t want to spend the money. Fast forward 20+ years and I’ve got Dads old skates and am attending every adult/Old school skate that I can and loving every minute of it. I love the skates but I keep reading that dual action trucks make for better turning and was curious if it’s possible to put new trucks underneath my plates to accomplish this, and if in your opinion it would be worth the effort. They are Sure Grip Invader 6R plates which currently have 7mm axle trucks so I realize I would also need new bearings for 8mm setup but I’m ok with that as well. When I first pulled these out of storage, I had to have an axle replaced because it was bent, I’m assuming from dads fall, so I guess a beefier axle wouldn’t be a bad idea anyway. Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated! This is my first post in this forum, but I didn’t see anything about doing intros so I hope I’m not out of line by asking. Thanks in advance!

-Tony!

p.s. what the heck models are these anyway? Haha I have no idea how to identify them. Thanks again!

CD8CAAE8-E02C-4381-A3C9-BB3391E31F8C.jpeg
3024 x 4032 - 4M

You got a friend in shuffling.

Comments

• Boot is an old style Riedell 265 before they added the velcro strap. Cant find any info if the dual action DA45 truck is compatible with that plate. Hopefully someone with more knowledge will chime in.

• Ahhhh thank you chrisbauer123! Been trying to figure that out since I dug em up!

• So lets get down to the nitty gritty.

1) DA45 trucks will fit the Invader plates assuming the pivot holes are properly located. If not, trying to change over would be a waste of time. How does one tell if the holes are correct?? Pull all 4 trucks off the plates and pop out the pivot cups. The pivot cup holes need to be centered in the flat spot they are drilled in. As in an X drawn across the hole should cross in the center of the hole.. Granted this is a visual thing but I think you get the idea.) Same with the king pin holes. The rubber pivot cups used on the SA trucks cover a lot of poor machining so a lot of less than great stuff made it out the door.

2) The "jump" bars need to be pulled off and straightened out.

3) Krypto outdoor wheels?? Not much for indoors be people are always looking for those to roll outside.

4) Pictured below is the prototype XK4 DA45. SG had not started producing the conical cushions they make now. Any of the SG Single action plates will

5) So, as far as changing the plates. No big deal if the boots are sound and fit well. Otherwise move 'em on or dump 'em if they are in bad shape.

xk-4 side full annotated.jpg
    1506 x 638 - 784K
    1. ok awesome, I will pull the trucks to do an inspection. I’ve got my fingers crossed they aren’t a pair of the sloppy plates you speak of.
    2. yes I been meaning to straighten the bars, or even delete them but I figured I would wait till i decide what to do with the trucks first.
    3. Outdoor wheels only cause all the rinks are closed due to this virus crap. I Don’t know about anyone else but I’m dying to get back to the rink.
    4. Ok awesome, I know they say the 45s will fit any SA SG plate but I will inspect them first as you suggested.
    5. the boots are in good shape, and they fit well, if I can upgrade the plates I think I will. If not I will probably look into a new pair and make these my outdoor skates.

Thanks for the help! I’ve been having a lot of fun on these things, and i hope maybe I can make some improvements to make them even more enjoyable in the near future! If not, I will probably ask you for suggestions on purchasing a new pair! Regardless I will keep you posted here on what I wind up doing. Thanks again and cheers! 🍻

• "Boot is an old style Riedell 265 before they added the velcro strap."

Boots are old 122's, which never had a strap.

• Good eye dvw. I missed that.

• That's a switch. It's usually you catching me on stuff. 🤣

• There is nothing wrong with those skates that you can't fix. Unless you are related to Mortimer Snerd.

First thing you want to do is make sure the boot is >tight on the Plates. Put some penetrating oil on the mounting bolts and let set,then try to tighten a turn or 2. Then file off the end of those sharp mounting bolts. Gasp. Ye-gads.

Change the cushions to a modern urethane closed foam.Assemble with silicone grease.

A Good jump bar is required if you skate outside and jump, stomp your feet etc. The jump bar adds strength to the 2 king pins.

45 degrees are weaker design than straight up 10 .15 degrees. etc

Atom Road Hogs. Wheels. Not to good inside ,but best you can get outside, will save you many times from mishaps.

Put new INsoles inside to get rid of old sweat salts.

You will be happy ever more.🌵