Milling mounting holes into slots?

edited January 2021 in Quad Skating

Hello,

I've got a build where someone is switching from a heeled moxi Lolly setup to a Bont Parkstar with Avanti plates.

I'm considering milling the mounting holes into slots to facilitate adjustment, since the rear wheel is going to be quite a bit forward if I do a standard mount, which might feel unstable, comparatively.

Has anyone ever used slots when mounting quads, especially when moving to a different style of boot, to be able to adjust them? I'm thinking about 3/8" to 1/2" long slots.

As an aside, I don't use standard 8-32 or 10-24 bolts through -- I use T-Nuts inside the boot, and 1/4-20 bolts driven upward through the plate and into the T-Nut.

Thanks in advance for anyone who has any insight with this,

"I just love to skate. I found that the more time I put into it, the more enjoyment I got out of it." --Slomo

Comments

• I've done it many times for a variety of reasons, the ultimate outcome being the ability to shift the plate a little. Much more that .125" either side is optimistic depending on the plate. Some plates come with slots already - Labeda Pro Line comes to mind.

As for tips, just two - make sure your work holding is good and sweep them to be sure they're true. Measure twice, cut once.

I'm all for tee nuts, but 1/4-20 is maximum overkill. 10-32 is plenty adequate.