Ordered New Skate Components

edited January 2021 in Quad Skating

I just realized that there is an ask Doc category...

This is my first post. I have recently started skating again after two decades without regular skating. My boys are interested so, who am I to argue! My old skates were Riedell 295s with Classic plates short rear mounted and Fan Jet wheels. My feet are slightly larger so I needed to upgrade. I also feel less stable... I was a very good but recreational skater. I have skated a handful of times in those two decades and each time it was like riding a bike, after a few laps, it was like I never stopped. This time, it is half and half. So, I bought new bushings and bearings, if hopes that it was just skate age related...now I think it might just be body age related, LOL.

I decided to upgrade my skates, so I ordered some Riedell Blue Streak boots (size 13), Standard length Powerdyne Reactor Pro plates (size 12), Rollerbones Turbo wheels and some Gold Swiss bearings. Now I am exploring how I will mount the plates. I wasn't aware that this was as variable as it appears to be... I thought that I had decided to align the plates to the point between the second and third toes but since my feet are really flat, I'm not sure that this is correct for my specific anatomical uniqueness. I have a Snyder boot marking tool, so I could jut go a few millimeters towards the outside...

Thoughts?

Comments

• How are your old plates mounted on your old boots?

I suggest replicating that as well as possible.

When in doubt, centerline them.

Measure the width of the outer sole at the center of the heel then place a dot at the center. Next, measure the width of the boot at the point where the "ball" or first metatarsal joint of your foot would be. It's usually pretty close to the widest part of the boot. Place a dot at the midway point of that width measurement as well. Then use a straight edge and sharp pencil to draw a line that bisects the center dot of the heel and the front center dot. Draw that line all the way from heel to toe of the boot .

Pay careful attention to how far forward or rearward you mount the plates. In traditional Standard mounting, the rear axle is just behind the "ankle bone while the front axle is ahead of the ball and behind the toes.

There are several webpages that demonstrate the differences between Standard, Sport Mount, and Short Forward a.k.a. Aussie Mount. Google will be your friend here.

That's pretty much the traditional way to mount your plates.

Perhaps unmount your old ones, take the measurements, and see where the plates were relative to centerline, then do your best to replicate that on the new setup.

I'm sure others will chime in with different advice.

Good luck!

This is my signature.