A short introduction and a heel height question

edited December 2020 in Quad Skating

Hi everybody!

Introduction and backstory part:

I skated speed on quads back in the 1980's and 1990's. I used Oberhamer XL35 and 351 boots for almost the entire time that I was skating on quads. I sold my last set of quads about two years ago since they had gone unused for about ten years.

Well, My wife and I are starting to skate again. I will probably never race again, and I want to do something other than just zoom around in circles (ovals?) on my 4x110 inlines, so I'm going to get some new quads. I've always found backward skating and just generally shuffling around to be a lot more fun on quads than inlines. Also, almost everyone I know who still skates is spending almost all of their time on quads these days.

Now since Roy Oberhamer has passed away years ago without licensing any of his designs or construction techniques, my favorite boots are out of the question. I once owned two different Reidell boots. 595b on my indoor skates, and some Grand Prix (which I think was a 195?). I never could get comfortable with either one. They always felt as if they were smashing my toes downward. The Grand Prix always felt as if my heels were trying to come out of them as well. I ended up selling both and replacing them with Oberhamer 351s which never needed any break-in time, and were super comfortable in every possible way. A friend of mine suggested I try some Vanilla Freestyle boots.

Question part:

1: Main question(s): I noticed that they have no heel at all. In fact even less heel than the Reidell 595 which has a little extra layer of leather at the heel area. Is there anyone amongst us who has skated on both the "low" 1/2" heel and on a heeless boot like the Vanillas who can tell me if there have been any issues adapting to them? Did you have adjust your skating technique? Make any changes to your plate mounting? Did you suffer any muscle or tendon issues with the change?

2: Secondary question(s): Also, What is the construction quality of the Vanilla freestyle like? They are quite a bit less expensive than the Reidell options I see out there. They appear to only mention jam skating in the advertising. Does the boot contruction limit your ability to get low and corner hard in them? DO they bite or chew your ankles if you crank out some low, fast laps in them?

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Cheers!

This is my signature.

Comments

• Vanillas are just awful if you're used to quality boots like that. Maybe go modern and get something quality (with potential foot tracing or mold option) from Bont or some full customs from something like Dammed Soles.

Switching from my 295s to Vanillas wasn't the worst thing, slightly noticeable. But then realizing I had Vanillas on was terrible. I use art skates with a high heel now, and like them a lot more than anything else.

• edited December 2020

Can you be more specific? Specifically, what is awful on them as compared to the same features and characteristics on Higher end Riedells or Oberhamers? How are they different, and what specifically makes those features and/or characteristics inferior?

Thanks.

This is my signature.

• Well, I think it's a moot topic now anyway.

I just scored a N.O.S. pair of Oberhamers still in the original packaging off an ebay seller.

They ought to fit me based upon the seller's measurements, and he agreed to let me return them for refund if they're too tight. I'm 99% certain they will be perfect.

Happy Christmas to me!

This is my signature.

• When you get them, can you tell me how high the heel is on them?

I guess a full review of your experience using them would be great so future people looking into it can know what the boot is all about Thanks in advance.

• Low quality leather, thin tongues, breaks down easily. Imagine getting $5 technically ''leather'' dress shoes vs real leather dress shoes.

• edited December 2020

The Oberhamers I have on the way are the Model 41 Featherweight, which are a design with no-heel.

They are known to be a very high quality boot. Built on the same once famous Oberhamer last that was used for the XL-35. My first two pair of high-quality speed skates back in the 1970's and early 1980's had XL-35s. They were so comfortable to my feet, I skated and raced barefoot in them.

Assuming they do in fact fit well I will build them up, and since I'm an old guy now who doesn't have nearly as much time to devote to skating as I did in my youth, I will wear socks with the Featherweights. If I have difficulty adapting to a heeless boot, I will unmount then=m and take them to a boot maker to have a 1/2" leather heel installed.

Thanks for your input, folks.

Cheers!

This is my signature.