Why are wheels on 3-wheeled skates so big?

According to what I read, three-wheeled inlines are eclipsing four-wheeled inlines in popularity. One video says that they take cracks in the pavement and pebbles better. Sounds good to me. I'd like to try them. But why do the wheels have to be so big? Can I, as an intermediate skater who tried 84mm's and didn't particularly care for them, get used to those great big wheels?

Comments

• I went from 5x80mm to 4x110 about ten years ago, and yeah.. there is a period of adjustment. I had to take more frequent breaks to let my ankles and legs rest, but try to skate more frequently overall to get used to the differences in response.

The taller wheels roll over bumps and cracks more easily and also are faster. 110s are overall faster than 100's which are overall faster than 90's or 84's or 80's etc. Some of the three wheel frames are sporting wheels as large as 125mm!

My favorite setup for comfort are the old 5x80 speed skates from the 1990's. The lower deck height just felt very connected to me, and my big wheel setups feel a bit more cumbersome. But time marches on and skates will change. There is something to be said for being comfortable with your skates, but if you are skating with a partner or group of others, it's best to use a wheel size at least close to what your friends or competitors are using. It's easier to maintain the same pace under varying conditions outdoors, and if you're pacelining or drafting you are less likely to end up out of step with the others.

Just my advice based on my own experiences. Other's might have a different viewpoint.

This is my signature.

• Thanks.

You're skating on 4 big wheels now, down from 5 (smaller) wheels?

• hate to say it but this is quad forum section....

• edited January 2021

1: "hate to say it but this is quad forum section...."

Oops. The question was regarding three-wheeled skates, which are inlines. I saw the post title in the list of new posts. I just answered the question as well as I could. Maybe the OP didn't realize that he or she was in the quad forum either when posting. That might explain why nobody else has answered or replied with any assistance.

2: "You're skating on 4 big wheels now, down from 5 (smaller) wheels?".

Yes. The inline skates that I used from the 1990's until about ten years ago had five 80mm wheels on them, and the ones I have now use four wheels of either 100mm or 110mm diameter, depending upon which wheelset I feel like using.

To simplify my earlier response, the wheels are so large because larger wheels are faster and grip better. Whether or not you "as an intermediate skater who tried 84mm's and didn't particularly care for them", can get used to those great big wheels is up to you. It depends upon how much time you are willing to spend to do it.

This is my signature.

• I didn't realize I had posted in the wrong forum. I have posted again in the General Skating Discussion forum.