Is Roller Skating a Good Exercise?

If you focus on exercise, should roller skating be considered a good sport?

Is this useful for you to lose weight?

IMG_2921.jpg
600 x 400 - 36K

Comments

• I am not a doctor or a physiologist, but I would say that in my opinion, based upon my own experiences with myself, skating is an excellent activity to use as part of a weight loss plan that also includes healthy diet choices and planning. I make no claim that it is for anyone other than myself since I am not qualified to do so.

I was going to post a longer reply talking about my own past experiences with skating and weight, but I began to drift into something that would really stand on it's own as a seperate post, so I will stop here.

Happy Holidays.

This is my signature.

• Loosing weight is a function of consuming less energy than you expend [if you want to simplify it]. I don't think skating is the most efficient way to waste more energy. There are some days that I am absolutely exhausted from skating and many days where I don't get tired at all. I am much more exhausted from breaking (bboying (breakdancing)) and other forms of dance. While I dance on skates, my body seems to prefer being efficient with my movements. After-all, extra stuff on skates doesn't look good [IMO].

If you were a couch potato who picked up skating then yes, I think it would help you loose weight as perhaps you are expending more energy than you usually would. Of course that'd be all moot if you resorted to eating a ton more than usual.

I haven't been able to get photos to show up. Lucky you @Skatesfun

• edited December 2020

I will say this much. After nearly 40 years, I have yet to see a speed skater “who could lose a few pounds” standing on the podium at a World Championships, Pan Am Games, USA Nationals, or even at US SC Regionals.

An M.D. once said to me that some activities burn more calories per hour than others, but the most effective exercise is the one that you will enjoy and want to do nearly every day. I still believe him.

This is my signature.

• There are many benefits of Roller skating. Like Weight loss, better metabolism and you will feel more energetic. You can read more amazing Health Benefits of Roller Skating Here to stay fit.

• The best way to lose weight is roller skating. It gives the same results as running or jogging.so I suggest roller skating is a good exercise https://mobilehealthdata.com/thromboangitis-obliterans-buerger-disease/

• Yes, skating is an excellent exercise. The best thing is that you can do it when you're old without hurting yourself. Running when you're old is often not possible due to the pain/damage it causes to your joints, but skating doesn't do that. If you can skate when you're old you should have good exercise in your life with zero injuries.

• I ice skate (fast) every day and I've found it to be better than running as it's so low impact that it never injures me at all but it still works me out as much as running ever did.

• Of course it is. I skate all the time and i feel great after skating my legs and body feel like i exercise.

• What You Can Do to Skate Faster. 1 - Perfect Your Skating Form. 2 - Learn How to Skate Properly. 3 - Perform on-ice sprints. 4 - Boost Core Stability. 5 - Increase your hip extension mobility. 6 - Work on your Glutes. 7 - Build Leg Strength. 8 - Increase Your Cardiovascular Fitness

• Yes, roller skating is a calorie-burning activity that can contribute to weight loss. The number of calories burned depends on factors such as skating intensity, duration, and individual body weight.

• Cut carbs, fastest way to lose weight. But as you get stronger and push harder as a skater you build muscle mass. Muscle weighs more than fat. So you lose something gain another, the better of the 2. I cut carbs a while back, dr advise meds. I said no Ill handle it, cut carbs went from 238 to 204 in a few weeks. Had some issues with my feet too. But now all is good, skating again. It's a climb, but Im skating almost every day now, about 2 hours. Muscles are beginning to feel the workouts again... skating tomorrow again... got to keep pushing..