Outdoor wheels: 62mm or 65mm and Radar Energy 78A?

Following their recommendation, I am considering Radar Energy wheels (78A) for my outdoor skates, which are Bont Parkstars with Pilot F16 plates. I currently use 62mm Atom Poisons (84A) but these will go on my indoor skated for use on local highly-polished indoor netball courts. I don't want the 57mm Radar Energy wheels, so I have to work out whether to buy the 62mm options in clear green, clear yellow, teal or white; or to go for their larger 65mm wheels in black and clear red.

I understand the bigger wheel will roll better across rough surfaces, and I certainly want the softer 78As but cannot find on the Web whether the two Radar Energy 65mm wheels are also 78A. I am quite sure I can fit the 65 diameter to the Pilot Falcons without dragging them on the mounting bolts during any fierce turns. Any advice appreciated?

Comments

• edited November 2020

The alternative I am also looking at were Atom Pulse wheels also 65mm and 78A. For what it's worth, here are the Bonts fitted with the Falcon Pilots and my old Suregrip Intercepter wheels.

Bonts_Intercepters.jpg
    3328 x 2510 - 2M
  • That compound is soft! if you must run a compound that soft you will need as much diameter as possible to stop them dying when you stop skating, they won't have much in the way of roll i wouldn't think. Mind you, i've never skated a wheel that soft so maybe take it with a grain of salt.....

For outdoors, if you can get a tall wheel to work on your skates i would say do it, not too wide hopefully either, so you can skate wherever without worrying too much about the surface (within reason of course). The harder they are the better they roll, which is a benefit with tall wheels as they take a bit to get going in comparison to smaller ones but once rolling they keep going.

I skate a 68mm 90A outdoors, tall, fast and hard, great for outdoor flat track good roll once going and grippy enough, the height means they roll over anything and that with their hardness helps them roll long, looking at your skates i'm assuming speed isn't your thing but no point getting completely knackered on softies if you don't need them.

• Go as big as your plates will allow. Yeah, 78a with 65mm will be a little bit mushy, but velvety smooth.

I got lucky and purchased some RAD Glides 70mm in 78a and they're brilliant. The roll right over those small stones, twigs, cracks etc that smaller wheels stall on. They came in 80a too, but I missed out getting a set before they were discontinued.

• Cropduster, I thought I saw an old dude at a skating event that had pretty tall yet skinny wheels. I tried to ask what they were but never really got a response. What wheels do you know that fit that description? [90a skinny and tall]

• I've had ground clearance issues with my f16 plate skating outdoors on UK streets/roads. Was on a 62mm wheel an kept catching the king pin nut on raised bumps. 78a keep you fit outside but lovely an grippy with fast cornering

I guess if you've got smooth tarmac cycle lanes you should be fine. I don't unfortunately lots of bumpy paving slabs.

Im interested to see if you find a wheel big enough for clearance to ground an wheel to boot when leaning boot over to turn.

• Thanks all for the feedback/comments. Still to fit the Atom Pulse wheels for an outside run; so will let you know how i go when I do. Everything since my original post has been in the rink.

• I am very satisfied with the new Atom Pulse wheels on a recent outdoor spin of 11km (7 miles). These 78A’s were noticeably smoother and rode the bumps better than my Poison 84A’s. Very happy I bought them for my outdoor rolls.