Which 2020 Skating Events Have Been Cancelled due to COVID-19?

Many of the upcoming skating world championships sanctioned and presented by the World Skate Federation have been postponed or cancelled. You can see that on their list of upcoming events: http://www.worldskate.org/ (select "Events --> Upcoming Events" from the menu at the top of their Web page).

What other 2020 competitions, marathons, rink meets, recreational skates, and other skating events have been cancelled due to health concerns related to the COVID-19 coronavirus?

Comments

• I have noticed that ESS (Trexlertown) has been strangely quiet about potential dates. I'd be surprised if the typical Memorial Day weekend races happen. I wouldn't be surprised if permitting is on hold putting July, August, and September up in the air. This is all speculation, but last year we had tentative dates released by early March.

• They pulled the plug on the Salt Lake City 10K, no surprise since it had an April date.

https://saltlakecitymarathon.com/race-info-maps/covid-19-2/

Illinois USA

• Apostle has cancelled. Though they have not been affected, they feared having out of towners bringing the virus into their area.

• Eastern Seaboard Series (ESS) has FB posted that the Lehigh Valley Parks has suspended all permits until further notice. Having said that, these races can be quickly scheduled when conditions improve. The optimist in me still thinks the Memorial Day races could happen.

• Berlin has been cancelled due to government restrictions on large events over 5000 people being extended into October. The Northshore website has an April update that the are still planning on having their race, though they passively aggressively mention their extra "race insurance" fee.

• Chicagoland website has changed the date to 2021. There is a cryptic message indicating no race this year: "While we would love to be putting on this event for you in a few short weeks, we are looking forward to next year when the environment is much safer. For those of you who are trained up and ready to run, please check out some of our virtual runs below."

Since it is my local race, I've avoided bringing up Skate of the Union, but I've got serious doubts based on the DC government isolation policies having no end in sight. The website is still taking registrations so I'm holding out hope.

The most likely first marathons IMO are NYC and Rollin' on the River. Still, NY government is a question mark while Rollin' has the problem of low margin for any reduction in registration numbers. I would not be shocked if the only North American marathons this year are Canada and Northshore, with Northshore being much more likely IMO. Blah.

• The ESS facebook site says the May ESS race is cancelled due to the PA governor extending an order against group gatherings until June 4. Boo. The next ESS race is typically late July.

• Skate of the Union website changed today to say it will be "virtual" this year. Booo. I'm still hopeful for the July Eastern Seaboard Series, but the Pennsylvania Governor seems to have a stick stuck up his butt....

• Rollin' on the River is asking for feedback about holding the race. They will make a decision June 15. From the website: "At this time our planning committee is monitoring the North Dakota State Guidelines for events. Currently we do not know what August will bring, but we hope to have our tenth annual race. With that in mind, safety is our #1 priority and we understand that our race will look different from previous years. We have already been working diligently on a plan to have safety measures in place for our participants, fans, and volunteers and are asking for your thoughts. Your feedback will help us get a better understanding if we are able host this race. Please respond to the ROTR Event Survey by June 11th and we will announce on June 15th if we will be holding the 10th Annual Rollin on the River Marathon."

• There is a FB post cancelling the June Eastern Seaboard Series (ESS). There hasn't been a June ESS in years as the nearby SOTU and Connecticut Marathons are in June. I guess they were considering filling the void with SOTU being cancelled and Connecticut info MIA.

• Based on the ROTR survey, there's a snowball's chance in hell of them holding the race. If Pennsylvania starts processing park permits, I believe we will have ESS races this summer. I have doubts about everything else, especially if they have the attitude ROTR has. The best bet would be A2A as Georgia has opened up, the race is mid October, and their management is solid (possibly only second to ESS).

• Not a cancellation! The Summer Inline Series in Roseville, MN starts June 17. This is the first outdoor racing I'm aware of nationally. This gives me hope for Northshore to happen.

• ROTR has been cancelled. They announced they'd be back next year. They deferred pre-registrations to next year's race.

• A2A has been cancelled. All the logistics with multiple police jurisdictions including Atlanta would have been tough for multiple reasons this year. I suspect NYC will also be tough to arrange. Duluth hasn't updated since early May. Based on the lack of posts here, maybe many have given up on this season? I still think ESS will happen if park permitting opens up. My hopes for Duluth are admittedly fading unless they are willing to hold off on a decision into mid summer.

• Northshore updated their website: "As of June 2020, the NorthShore Inline Marathon and Skate Fest is moving forward as normal."

• As for operators, the RSAI cancelled the annual conference in April in Vegas however, they rescheduled for August. For others.. hard to follow them. I am so busy focusing on former rinks and having hard time to figure out rinks because of shut downs..

• The Minnesota Half has gone virtual. The reason cited is covid-19 and their government's guidelines on large gatherings. There is no mention as to whether their riots had anything to do with their decision.

For $61.00 you can skate your virtual race anywhere and any time between Aug. 1 and Oct. 31. You will get your shirt and finnisher medal by Sept, 1

If interested, https://www.minnesotahalfmarathon.com/

Illinois USA

• Canada IM has updated their website. The Google French translation is "Canada Roller Marathon is evaluating the possibily to be back in 2020 with the Covid 19"

• In my mailbox this morning:

2020 NorthShore Inline Marathon and Skate Fest Cancelled

You have registered for the in-person 2020 NorthShore Inline Marathon and Skate Fest. Please read this email carefully. You have options for your registration that require action on your part! PLEASE click below to select your race entry option.Your options are:

Convert your entry to the 2020 Virtual NorthShore race, or

Receive a $25 off coupon for any 2021 NorthShore race event, or

Use the registration fee as a donation to NorthShore Inline Marathon, Inc., which provides crucial support to the longevity and continuation of NSIM.