Help, are my plates too big?

Hello, I’m new to roller skating and I realized that the plates on my boots are larger than the ones on my partners roller skates.

I’m new to this so I don’t know if my struggles and foot pain are normal parts of the learning curve or if I really need to get smaller plates.

any advice is highly appreciated,

Thanks

D2C8A76B-4333-4AD0-93B0-2D5F196565ED.jpeg
3024 x 4032 - 3M

Comments

• They look large compared to what some people use when they make custom skates, but if they are not hanging off of the boot they are fine.

• For foot pain, I would recommend loosening the trucks a bit if they are tight. Otherwise it's a normal part of skating, it really is a foot workout when you are just getting started.

• Thanks šŸ™šŸ½

• Are your partner's roller skates Moxi skates? They tend to use a smaller plate, which makes it easier to rock up on your toes, which is good for the rink and tricks, but with the shorter wheel base you're actually less stable, and slower.

I am an outdoor street skater, and prefer my plates to cover from heel to toe, as yours appear to do. Agree with Quickstep above, you have to build the muscles in your feet, it will happen. Also, inserts or insoles on skates typically don't offer a lot of support, so you might want to try some athletic insoles from the drugstore. I add some insoles to all of my skates.

"I just love to skate. I found that the more time I put into it, the more enjoyment I got out of it." --Slomo

• They're not too big, they're just mounted so the wheelbase is longer. Not the end of the world, longer wheelbases are more stable, though not as agile. They're actually great for beginners, actually, because they're very stable and forgiving. Wheelbase is a personal preference, honestly. I prefer shorter mounts, but plenty of people prefer longer, for different reasons.

• I added these Old Bones insoles to my rollerblades and took out the stock liner and these things work great. Absorb lots of shock and definitely keep me going longer. I consider this one of the best insoles for skating because of how well they secure my feet and heels as I skate through rough terrain.