3 Turn practice tips

Hello, I recently purchased a pair of artistic skates in the hope of taking lessons once rinks open. I live in Melbourne, Australia and in quite strict lock down restrictions. Everything except essentials are shut. I am a proficient forward skater and can skate backwards ok. I am trying to teach myself 3 turns and have watched a few tutorials online. I am getting stuck with that flick of the heel. I understand that the turn is initiated by the upper body but find that I can’t steady myself when I’m on one foot in a backwards roll and just lose balance and drop my foot.does anyone have any tips or links that show exercises I could do to practice the individual components. I hope this makes sense. I have watched Nicole fibre and dirty Deborah. They are good but I need something more detailed/basic. Lola

Comments

• The turn is not initiated with the upper body, it should be done with foot pressure and knee bend, the upper body part is only so that you don't block yourself while doing the turn. Using the upper body causes twisting and will not allow you to turn properly, stay square. Keep the free leg straight the whole time trailing behind you the whole time, bend your knee and press the edge slightly more on the heel (either inner or outer), make a cusp about 1 skate length deep and then switch the pressure slightly more on the toe and you will turn.

Also, if you can't stand up on an outer or inner back with the free leg straight and in a leading/trailing position while rolling backwards, you can't do a three turn and expect to be able to balance after the turn.

• Also, if you're in Australia I highly recommend contacting @maiafitness.coaching (instagram), I've done online training with her, and she has very good artistic coaching knowledge especially for figures and freestyle.

• Hi Quickstep. thank you for the info on the coach. I have been looking high and low but I had not been able to locate a coach with an artistic skating background. I will definitely check it out.

And I think you have hit the nail on the head so to speak. I can't as yet roll backwards on one leg confidently. I can do it for a second or two and that is it. And hence why I was wanting some tips and what skills/steps are involved.

Looks like I might have to be patient and wait until I have the right skills before attempting to do this. It just looks so beautiful and graceful. Was getting ahead of myself!

• No problem!

Yep it's really important to be able to hold whatever position you are going to be turning into first, before adding the turn which makes it more difficult. I would recommend working on your balance and strength going backwards, trying not to lift the hip of the free leg too much (don't let them get uneven, with one hiked up too much especially on inners, super common mistake).

Here's a website where you can find a club for artistic skating if she's too far away.

https://skateaustralia.org.au/find-a-club/

• Thank you for the sound advice. I can see that it would be easy to lift the hip unevenly. I’ve contacted maiafitness and just waiting to hear back. And already planning on hitting a local rink once they open.

ill have to google some drills to practice backward skating on one leg. It’s been a little hard as practicing outdoors on concrete.going over those concrete joins backwards on one leg is tricky when you’re not experienced nor skilled enough.