Backwards Skating

I'm getting back into quad skating after a long absence. I never learned how to skate backwards and need some tips to help me stay on my wheels. I feel out of my element when I start to roll backwards. I get the concept of stroking but have a hard time stopping and can't get the crossover down. Thanks!

Comments

• Kind of hard to teach/coach backwards skating unless you are there with a person. But there are some tips that can be offered.

As for feeling out of your element going backwards, I have a solution for that. One very good tool when going backward is to learn and get comfortable with rolling backward while straddling. One foot forward, one foot back. Pick up some speed backwards, and put your right foot back. Look over your right shoulder to see where you are going, and focus on your right heel to change direction. Practice mild turns to the left and right with your right foot back. Do this, maybe 10 times, then reverse it and put your left foot back, and look over your left shoulder. If your skates do not turn well, pick up that back heel and point it where you want to go to get more turning.

Stopping backwards. I don't use toe stops, so I won't reference them here. Learn to do a spin stop going forward. This is a hard turn that will arrest your momentum in a hard turn. Then apply this to going backward.

Backward cross-overing. This is actually one of the best ways to learn backward. Proper form for a backward crossover in a counter clockwise direction is this. Turn your head to the right. This is the inside of your circle. Lift your left foot, and step over your down right foot. As you are stepping over, your body weight will follow the left foot, causing you to lean toward the inside of the circle. At this point, you should be rolling backward. Lift your right foot and put it back down. Don't put the right foot down next to the left, but ahead of it, with ahead being the direction of travel. Then repeat. This is the Grand Daddy of backward skating exercises. Do this over 5 or 10 skating sessions and you will improve quickly. Do 10 to 20 steps one direction and then switch to the other direction to complete one "set". Do 3 to 5 sets per skating session. If you do more, don't be surprised if you get a headache. You are doing a new and unusual movement, and are creating new neural pathways. It will take a while for these new pathways to form.

• Thanks for the lesson. Im determined do it. I think one my problems is it's hard to tell if I'm doing something wrong since it feels awkward. I want to get the basics down so I know I gave good form. Guess I'll need to find someone to work with. Your method makes sense so I'll give it a try. Thanks again.

• You're welcome. As said, the backward crossover is a really great learning tool. Another note on it, that makes it hard, but great. You will make mistakes that you will have to learn to compensate for. You'll lean too far in, or not enough, you'll get your weight too forward or back. Shoot for 10-15 minutes per session. If you hit 20 minutes, you will likely run into mush brain. But you will learn quickly. Happy Hunting.

• Posting comment one & hi I’m new here . The only time I’ve heard a coach touching on the subject of neurological pathway was from reining world champions instructors .

This is first hand knowledge I gained from her in a beginner course she coached , the last one before the pandemic shutdown. With respect as I do not want to exploit her , these are my words as I understand her explanation of a human brain in physical backwards motion.

The coach facing backwards moves in the direction while asking the class “how often do you move backwards?” We don’t do this much throughout our daily life. This is why it is difficult for our brain to transcribe often resulting in motion sickness. Brain freeze for example cautions a dangerous cold temperature sending pain as a reminder.

The coach goes on to say with practice she has the ability to skate backwards as easy as walking forward.

My doctor recommended I take the class while I was recovering from a ruptured ear drum. My balance was severely impaired & I was at risk of losing my drivers license.

A gained balance of body, mind & soul. In other words I appreciate you!

Respectfully,

-skateheart