Are These Roller Rinks Still Open?

The Southeastern Skate Supply Web site has a huge directory of roller skating rinks around the world, organized by location. Most of these are in the United States but at the bottom of the list there are roller rinks in Australia, Canada, Ecuador, Germany, Guatemala, India, Ireland, New Zealand, and the United Kingdom.

Are all of these roller skating rinks still open? Have any of them closed?

SE SKATE ROLLER RINK DIRECTORY: http://seskate.com/rinks/

Comments

• In MA:

The Roller Palace in Beverly is no longer open.

Silver City Sports Complex in Taunton is now Forrest's Family Fun Center.

Indoor Inline: Pinnacle Full Customs | Junk Fury 4x110 | TLTF/Simmons Wheels | NMB

Outdoor Inline: Simmons Full Customs | Junk Fury 4x110 | Junk Wheels | NMB

Quads: Reidell 911 | Roll-Line Giotto | Corey Super-Ds/JG Hubs/B-Skater 71mm Outdoor | Bones Swiss/NMB

• no longer with us are Cal Skate Milpitas,(1977-2011) and Redwood Rink.(1952-2017)

https://thesixfifty.com/the-final-days-of-redwood-citys-world-renowned-roller-skating-mecca-d9b6fa0d718

• Under Wisconsin, in Racine, Skatetown is now Star Roller Rink.

I can attest to the open-ness of the following places in Wisconsin:

Capelli’s Traxside Skating in Burlington

Rollaero Skate Center in Cudahy

Skater’s Edge in Grand Chute (Appleton area)

Skate City in Kimberly (Appleton area)

Ozaukee Skateland in Cedarburg

Skate Express in Watertown

Waukesha Skateland

Incredi-Roll Skate and Family Fun in West Allis

Skate Country in West Bend

also known to be open but not listed by SE Skate Supply:

Butler Skateland

Under Illinois, these following places are known open:

Aurora Skate Center

Funway in Batavia

X-Treme Wheels in Crystal Lake

Lombard Roller Skating Rink

Lynwood Sports Center

Rockford Skateland

Skate Co. in Rockford

Coachlite in Roselle

Bella’s Bouncies Skate on Grand in Fox Lake

• edited March 2020

Hotskates in Lynbrook NY is closed. 🙁 It was my favorite place on the planet.

Missing from the list is an open roller rink in Fort Lauderdale Florida called Extreme Action Park. Is there any way that can be added to the list?

• edited April 2020

The Sportsplex in Langley BC Canada is 4 ice rinks. No roller rink.

Roller City in Cheyenne, WY is still open.

• For Pennsylvania...

OPEN:

All of these places are temporarily closed due to Pennsylvania's state government's orders but will reopen when allowed.

Skatetown; Pheasantland; Sports Emporium; Red Bridge; Valley Skating Center; Chester County Sports Arena; Enola Olympic Skating; Magic Elm Skateland; Hermitage Olympic Fun Center; Castle Roller Rink; Latrobe Skating Center; LaRose's; Carousel Skating Rink; Doc's Roller Review; Mt. Gretna Roller Rink; Trout Pond Park; Fountainblu Skating Arena; Valarena; Palace Roller Skating; Neville Roller Drome; Ringing Rocks Roller Rink; Fantasy Sk8ing; Reynoldsville Rollerdrome; Lake Bonin Rollerena; Russell Roller Rink; Skate Capital*, Sunset Rink; Penn Skates; The Rink Family Fun Center; Edgemont Park Roller Rink; Skateaway Whitehall; Skateaway Shillington; Skateaway Wilkes Barre; Roll-R-Way; Mr. Q's Family Skate

*Skate Capital in Seneca actually got a waiver to stay open - somehow - so it is not temporarily closed. :/

Lancaster – Overlook Park; This is open but it goes by "Overlook Activities Center" or just "Overlook Roller Skate Rink." The park is something else.

Philadelphia – Wow Family Fun; This is open but the roller rink itself is called Rolling Thunder Skating Center. It is located inside of the Wow Family Fun Center.

Reading – Skateaway; There are four rinks listed under PA with the name Skateaway. Three of those places - in Shillington, Wilkes Barre, and Whitehall - actually exist. There is no such place in Reading. If you go to their website, you will be sent straight to Skateaway Shillington's site.

CLOSED:

Corban’s Temple; Divito Park; Raystown Roller Rink; Roller Motion; Independence Family Fun Center

UNSURE:

Aston – C&N Skate; No idea, Facebook says permanently closed and I can't find anything on their website.

Dubois – Edgewood Family Fun Center; No idea, their site still shows prices/hours but their last update is from 2012.

Jersey Shore – Skate Haven; This doesn't exist. Jersey Shore Haven Airstream is an RV Park, and Jersey Shore Arena is neither a roller rink nor is it in PA. (It's an ice rink in NJ) Skate Haven - a roller rink -is located in Lock Haven, but it was sold in December of 2017. No idea if it's still running under a different name or if it was turned into something else. Most likely closed.

Lock Haven – Skate Haven Roller Rink; see above

Matamoris – Skate-A-Palooza Family Event Center; I don't know if this is a place that exists?

Middleburg – Criss Cross; No idea, I can't find anything at the address, I can't find any website for it, no reviews...

Point Marion – Lions Club; I'm pretty sure this is in Wisconsin? Can't find anything about a roller rink via the Lions Club in Pennsylvania.

Waynesboro – Cosmic; It might be open? I can't find anything at the address or any hours/prices.

Williamsport– YMCA; The YMCA is open, but I can't find anything about roller skating there.

• Kendall Park Skating shut down last year. All others are still active, but temporarily shut down.

• In the UK, it’s Wigan Roller Rink, not Wiggan, which sounds like a place for the follically challenged!

It’s very much open - I was there today continuing my return to skating, breaking my new Chaya Pearl boots in 👍

• That sounds cool, IronDad. This forum doesn't let us thumbs up or add rep, which is annoying. But I'd certainly thumbs up that if I could. 👍️

• Lost two Wisconsin roller rinks :

Rollaero, Cudahy closed after frozen pipe burst of fire supression system.

Skate Country, West Bend sold to Habitat for Humanity ~ a new ReStore.

• Starlite in Salina, Kansas is no longer there.

The tax assessor kept raising the property taxes in leaps and bounds every year until the owner could no longer afford to stay in business. His family had been operating that rink in that very location since at least the 1950's. He tried all of the usual diplomacy to try to get his property value grandfathered or even lowered, but the powers that be really wanted him to sell that chunk of land, whether or not he wanted to. It's a real shame.

Starlight was one of the very few places in that town where people of all ages could go to have non-violent fun, exercise, and escape the brutal summer heat and brutal winter cold. Starlight had one of the most beautiful Rotunda Maple Floors I have ever seen anyplace. My wife skated there as a teen during the 1960's, our kids skated there during the 1990's. Just three years ago, we took most of the grandchildren skating there during a visit.

It's been knocked down and hauled away. The location is now home to a full service car wash.

This is my signature.

• In Illinois Lombard Roller Skating Rink is closing at the end of this season, no exact date but I think early July. They are selling the rink to a developer to build more town homes.

• The majority of roller skates cost between $30 and $350. Roller skates, on the other hand, may be purchased for as little as $19.99 and as much as $1000. Skates are also priced differently depending on the type, brand, size, and quality. If you buy your skates online, you must additionally factor in delivery costs.